Hi, Kostya.
Thanks for your response, and for info on your strange experience with
WiFi on the Galaxy Tablet.

My problem is not to make SMS-functions work on the Galaxy Tab (which
they do), but to make SMS apps visisble to devices which support SMS
(including the Galaxy Tabs) - and only those.

One could obviously try something like what you suggest, but in that
case you need to make the app visible to all sorts of devices, also
those which do not support SMS. Starting/running an app on deviced on
which it will not run properly, would probably result in lots of angry
users and bad/low ratings. Which we do not want.

At some stange it seemed that the Market would try to solve this
general problem - once and for all:
Read about "The 5 steps to future harware happiness":

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2010/10/five-steps-to-future-hardware-happiness.html

The Market may have thought that they had solved this issue, but it
seems not.

Or could there be other ways ?

Terry