Thanks Mark,

but hang on... apparently I have misunderstood something.

Are you saying that based on what you read I won't have to re-activate
the phone (i.e. have to enter the SIM's unlock code, which presumably,
based on numerous posts I can buy for ~$25) but merely add my
carrier's EDGE's APN so I can sign in to Google?

Thanks,
Stoyan