Just out of interest, what do you mean by 'test?'

Do you mean, run in eclipse with the 'test' functionality in that IDE?
 Or perhaps you mean under something like monkeyrunner..

Depending on what you want to test, I don't see what your problem is,
which I suspect is why few people responded.

True, if something is running in a separate process it's not as easy
to debug it, you could always attack a debugger to the other process,
but this isn't a bug in Android, per se.

P.s., there have been so many people on this list lately with "here,
I've found an obvious bug in android" that doesn't really make sense,
please think deeply before you blame a highly trusted framework
(/system/framework/etc...)