No, need to get your panties in a bunch, I was just making a
point....  I am sure, if you wanted to, you could use a packet to
transmit a single bit.

I didn't think through the math, because the latency in theory could
be iinfinite....  So, yes, it's concievable that a 56k modem is faster
if it has no latency, no matter what kind of assumptions you make.
Once again, I was just trying to illustrate that you can bring the
fastest system to its knees by doing stupid things.