No one is expecting to run Pro Tools on existing Android devices;
however there are pro audio applications that can be addressed. I am
not sure why you believe that new hardware would need to be
commissioned. In regards to audio I/O, much is being done today using
USB audio devices. As far as processing power, do what can be done
today and wait for Moore's Law to run its course.

Regarding Android kernel issues, this is what is under discussion in
this thread. If Google were to attack the latency problem it would be
a major step towards pro audio support with the mainstream kernel.
Otherwise, I suppose that you are correct. It would require that an
OEM release a device with the necessary OS modifications to address
this market.

I feel that Anton is very forward thinking in pursuing this issue.
Attacking niche markets such as this is a valid strategy for gaining
market share, and how sweet to go after Apple on what is in many ways
their own turf.