Here is some more information on what's happening. There is a problem
in yaffs2 where unlinked files are not removed from a check-pointed
filesystem. Whenever Android sleeps, it check-points the filesystem.
When you uninstall an app the files are unlinked. If the device then
goes to sleep before the unlinked files are actually removed, they
won't be.

The proper way to work around this it to shut down your phone by
holding down the end call button until you get a dialog asking to shut
down your phone. Turn your phone back on. BEFORE your phone can sleep
after it reboot, shut it down again. This will clean your unlinked
files.

This works because when the system starts it has no check-points in
the filesystem and one won't be created if the system doesn't sleep.
The unlinked files are actually removed then when the file system is
mounted or unmounted (I'm not sure which it actually is).

Cheers,
Justin
Android Team @ Google