Thanks.  It finally started working when I deleted http:// from the
Proxy entry in the emulated Android device Access Point proxy
settings.  When I looked back at my old notes, this is how I had
gotten it working originally.  I had created a new virtual device and
added the http:// by mistake.

In my work environment running any software with a listener port (like
a proxy) is a big problem.