Hi Moktarul, thanks for the input but this isn't about attempting to
scale particular images or views.
This is about attempting to choose an appropriate layout for the
device.
Ie on devices that have enough room to fit more fields (eg tablets) I
display extra fields.

What I'm struggling with is how the decision on which resource
qualified layout is chosen.

In particular why  an 800*400 160dpi device is considered large-hdpi

William