So Dianne, you're saying that if I only have a single configuration
for a screen size that I might as well drop the density qualifier as
it will have no impact, as the screen size will totally override the
decision as to which resource is used,

This means that if I want to implement the layouts I thought I have
been supporting I will need 4 definitions of 2 layouts
- default        - layout_A_less_capabable_screens
- large-mdpi  - layout_A_less_capabable_screens (this config does not
currently exist).
- large-hdpi   - layout_B_more_capabable_screens
- xlarge        - layout_B_more_capabable_screens

Or if I want to implement the layouts I have actually been supporting,
I can collapse this to
- default  - layout_A_less_capabable_screens
- large    - layout_B_more_capabable_screens

William