We unfortunately had to cut a few corners to be able to release
Android 1.0 as you know it. We are terribly sorry for this and we
definitely want the standard applications to use only public APIs. It
is however better for these apps to use private APIs for a little
while rather than make APIs public that are not ready to be public.

> how are my apps equally
> able to do such things as setting the wallpaper size in the wallpaper
> service (if, say, I was trying to do my own home screen)?

What is not public with the APIs used to set the wallpaper dimension?

> It seems particularly odd, given that some of these APIs seem pretty
> non-contentious -- like updating a field through a cursor.  Will this
> be addressed and "levelled out" in future releases?  After all, I can
> certainly understand if there simply wasn't time to provide clean
> public APIs for these things.

The problem is that before we make an API public we have to be sure
that we won't have to change it later. Once public, an API has to be
maintained "forever." That's why we try to proceed with caution :)

--
Romain Guy
Android framework engineer

to provide private support.  All such questions should be posted on