> The problem is that before we make an API public we have to be sure
> that we won't have to change it later. Once public, an API has to be
> maintained "forever." That's why we try to proceed with caution :)

Yup, that's fair enough.  (I'm going through the same process
myself... ;-)  As long as the intention is right, it's understood that
it's not all going to happen at once.

So I was thinking about building a home screen based on the G1 screen,
but with more pages (mine is totally full of cool add-ons, which rocks
of course).  I've got it mostly working with 3x3 pages, but there are
a few hooks I can't get into; like to tell the wallpaper service that
the desktop has changed size, the existing code does this:

        com.android.server.WallpaperService wallpaperService =
getSystemService(WALLPAPER_SERVICE);
        IWallpaperService wallpaperService =
IWallpaperService.Stub.asInterface(binder);

which doesn't work for me.  I'll think of a workaround, or do my own
wallpaper handling.  Or something.

Cheers,

Ian