Thanks for the reply TreKing.

Actually I now tried to use startForeground().
Notification icon is hanging in the bar, but whenever I send an intent
to a Service it doesnt seem to receive it, does it mean its dead?

On Mar 19, 6:30 am, TreKing <treking...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 3:44 PM, svl <s.i.vladimi...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > The question is - how i can make sure that the thread keeps running?
>
> You can't, not without any guarantee.
>
> >  Another solution was to do it with a handler and run the read from
> > serial port every second. Unfortunately that blocked the whole
> > application and it was hanging.
>
> Were you running in the UI thread?

Is there a UI thread on Service? I just created a Runnable in
onStartCommand and called handlers postInTheQueue to execute runnable.

> >  So basically i need to make service that constantly reads from serial
> > port.
>
> Use IntentService and don't try to run for 10 minutes straight. Or set it
> up such that you can recover and continue from where you were if you are
> killed (the OS will try to restart your Service to let it run to completion
> if it had to kill it, if you return the correct STICKY flag).

Whats the difference between Sevice and IntentService?
I do return STICKY....