Thanks for your reply.
You are right about this behavior in normal users scenario. But this
app is going to be used in tethered devices for dedicated audience.
The audience may be doing their stuff on the device when our system
will announce something. We don't want our audio announcement to go
unheard. Hence need exclusive access to audio h/w. But looks like it
is not possible unless we modify the framework itself.