<RANT>
Wow, Android and the manufacturers have made sure that all developers
look like idiots by never considering that there might be more than
one external storage volume in the Android platform, yet coming up
with a great variety.

At present, I get no information from manufacturers about storage card
paths EVEN after the device is on the market. I rely on unreliable
third party accounts in forums.

</RANT>

Customer: I've set the storage path to /mnt/sdcard. How come it's
writing to internal storage
Developer: That may actually be the path to the internal storage.
Customer: Huh? Then why does it say sdcard ? ... Ok, well then what
path do i choose?
Developer: Um, um, .... Based on an unsubstantiated rumor on some
forums, it might be /mnt/sdcard/extStorages/SdCard
Customer: Your app won't write to that. It says its read only.
Developers: Um, based on further unsubstantiated information on the
internet, it appears that Samsung may have made it so only built in
apps can write to that space, OR maybe you can fix it by rooting and
using a special fix, OR maybe if I use some special permission with my
next release it will work.
Customer: That's very encouraging, I'll go out and buy an even bigger
SD Card . . .

Now for my question.

According to this:
http://www.afternote.net/2012/03/sdcard-write-problem-fix-for-samsung.html
"Now, apps have to request for WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE if they want to
write to the external SD card, but many of them have not yet been
updated to do so yet."

Very encouraging, I just need to change my permissions, right? But it
appears that this information is completely bogus, because.

According to developer.android.com, THERE IS NO SUCH PERMISSION AS
"WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE".

If there is one, I'll bet only preinstalled apps can request it.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Nathan