Well, what do you know. WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE is a bit like District 13
in

I can put this in my manifest.

    <uses-permission
android:name="android.permission.WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE" />

This is because the permission is hidden in manifest.java.

/**  Allows an application to write to internal media storage
         @hide
         */
        public static final String
WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE="android.permission.WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE";

Despite its mysterious nature, if I place it in the manifest and
upload the apk to the market, I can see this on the permission page.

STORAGE
MODIFY/DELETE INTERNAL MEDIA STORAGE CONTENTS
Allows the app to modify the contents of the internal media storage.

I do not know yet if it will have the desired effect.

So the Market can publicly display a permission to end users that is
not supposed to be public to developers?

Yes, I know that it is bad coding practice to use an undocumented
feature, but I am not convinced its a bad business practice. Tell me
another way to do it if I am supposed to.

Nathan