On 04/18/2012 09:35 PM, Nadeem Hasan wrote:

On Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:55:00 PM UTC-4, digi owl wrote:

    Seems to me like what has happened is that manufacturers have
    cooped a feature that was supposed to be for removable storage to
    support larger non-removable capacity (a simple way to upsell). In
    the process, we have found ourselves with partitioned internal
    storage (to allow USB file transfer) and the current mess. I still
    find it interesting that the 3.2 documentation should mention
    using MTP to read cards tho.

I think you are right. I overlooked this possibility and it makes a lot of sense. My entire reasoning that the removable storage was designed for media files only was not correct.

There was only supposed to be one external storage location and the API was designed that way but the device manufacturers have changed the game by creating this removable and non-removable distinction.

Interesting reference 1:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/android-developers/LUcuw06JNe0/QiDiXSBKb9cJ

I think the future Android API needs to take this into account but we would still be left with millions of devices running the current versions of Android with no decent solution.

Interesting reference 2:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/android-developers/LUcuw06JNe0/ufWOEV4OyusJ

-- K