On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 01:55:18AM +0400, Kostya Vasilyev wrote:
> On 04/19/2012 12:39 AM, Jim Graham wrote:
> >I doubt that.  I'm working with full-sized and near-full-sized images
> >(3 MP//2048x1536 or 5 MP//2592x1944) and those are around 750 kB and 1.1
> >MB, respectively (give or take a few hundred kB).  I can't remember which
> >I was working with at the time, but whichever one it was, logcat showed
> >the system allocating 10 MB for it.
>
> What color depth are your images at?

ARGB_8888.  Again, when working on a camera app that's intended as much
for serious photography as the goofy side, why shoot myself in the foot
by immediately throwing image quality out the window?

> 3 MP (milli pixels?) at 24 bit per pixel, RGB_888, is 9 megabytes.

No...the person who replied had written it as mb ... I corrected it
before replying to it.  I don't think there is such thing as a mp (or
a mb, for that matter ... and if there is, I'd LOVE to know what use it
is).

> 5 millipixels at 24 bit is 15 megabytes.

I think you meant MP.  :-)

> Not 750 kB and 1.1 MB.

And since he'd referred to JPG sizes, that's what *I* was referring to,
not bitmap sizes (I think I included bitmap sizes in there, as well, but
specified bitmap, not jpeg.  And yes, I did two samples, one at each
resolution, both saved as a JPG, and those WERE the respective file
sizes.  I didn't just dream those up.  Oh, and *NONE* of the photos
I've taken, even at 5 MP, ended up being 15 MB jpegs (at least, none
so far).

Later,
   --jim

--
THE SCORE:  ME:  2  CANCER:  0
73 DE N5IAL (/4)        | "My spell checker eloped with a wiccan

Android Apps Listing at http://www.jstrack.org/barcodes.html