> As I said, these GPS loggers all run indefinitely and don't seem to be
> killed at any time. I've personally run some for 6+ hours on a cross country
> drive, logging points every 10 seconds and they don't have any hiccups. How
> can these apps works if the logging service can be shut down at will by the
> OS and it takes 30-40 seconds to restart a service? And you can't do this
> type of logging with AlarmManager, can you?

What you're doing isn't draining the battery only because of the
service, but also because of the location updates you'll be getting..

http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/location/obtaining-user-location.html

has some really good discussion on this.

(I don't think this is a bad use case, in this case, the user of the
device probably has the app foregrounded constantly, anyway.)

30-40 seconds, do you really need that kind of accuracy?  I would say
that I'd only want something like 5 minutes, which an AlarmManger
certainly could do (I believe, at least..)

kris