2012/5/10 William Kelley <williamtkel...@gmail.com>

> I changed my app to run as a foreground service and so far that has made
> all the difference. It hasn't once been restarted in 3 hours. For some
> reason, I thought a background process would be less likely to be killed,
> but now I see that services that let the user know exactly what is going on
> by being in the foreground and being required to show a notification icon
> are more transparent and thereby more "trusted" by the OS.

You might want to read this too:

http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/fundamentals/processes-and-threads.html#Processes

under "Process lifecycle" is a discussion of Android's five levels in the
process importance hierarchy.

> The one thing that I don't understand is WakeLock. I am running my service
> without a wakelock, the phone has been off for a few hours, and it is still
> logging GPS points. Should I assume that some other app (I am running
> Tasker and some other automation apps as well as CatLog) are keeping the
> CPU awake?

It's possible. Incoming data packets on the mobile data connections, if
any, will wake the device too (Gtalk/ Gmail / IMAP IDLE mail, etc.)

Not holding a wake lock does not guarantee that the device will not wake up
(regardless of running apps, bludgeoning the user would be the only
guarantee, anyway... :) ).

-- K