You asked "What happens if you try to download something (perhaps a
PDF file)
with the built in browser? "

Good question.

WIth an SDcard inserted, I tried to download a free ebook. That went
well.
Then i removed the SDcard, and tried again.
This time I was informed (by the built in web browser) that an SDcard
was required to be able to download that file.
I.e. It seems that this browser had the same problem with this (HTC)
device that I have.

However, if I use the built in camera (without an SDcard), it saves
pictures at /mnt/emmc/DCIM/100MEDIA.
I.e. It seems that the camera app knowns about the piculiarities re
the internal/external storage of this device.

According to the reports I have seen wrt this issue, this problem may
not be confined to HTC devices.

Regards, Terry