Mark;

You asked: "And the file wound up where? /mnt/sdcard? You said that
did not work
("which cannot be used for anything. Trying to
write there fails.") "

Sorry. I could have been a little clearer here. Yes, when the SDcard
was inserted in the device, the downloaded file was saved on the
sdcard (on mnt/sdcard/download).
(When I said that the dirctory  /mnt/sdcard did not work - and could
not be used for anything - that was when the sdcard was NOT inserted.)

When I insert the SDcard, the build in camera app also starts saving
pictures on the sdcard (on /mngt/sdcard/DCIM/100MEDIA.

Regards, Terry