@Sauray ... I did not think of that.  I guess my question would be... since
after the player is launched they are now actually outside of my app, do I
even have control over the back button at that point?

@Chris Stratton ... It's looking like I will have to build my own... which
is fine.  Part of me wanted to do so anyway since it seems to be the more
accepted way to do things.  I was more trying to use the default player b/c
I thought it would be the simpler way to do things so I could get the app
into the hands of those that are going to be beta testing it.

For my second issue... Accessing an AsyncTask from a Notification's
PendingIntent ... Could I put a BroadcastReceiver in the AsyncTask then
send a broadcast on user interaction with the dialog?  That was the next
option I was going to try... I just haven't had time to implement it yet.