Thanks String for the info.  This is all pretty new to me and though I have
been in development for a long time, I'm still learning Android best
practices.
I'm going to try the Broadcast and see if that works with the AsyncTask.
If it doesn't, I will turn the AsyncTask into a Service and try again.
That shouldn't be too hard to do.

As for the media player... I've pretty much given up on using the default
one.
I'm going to get it out to the beta testers and just tell them that I'm
working on a custom media player to play the audio.
Maybe with the player controls in the notification bar or something.