I've been trying to convert an iPhone app, built with phonegap/jqtouch, to
Android and I've hit some issues. I'm pretty ignorant about eclipse and
java so go easy on me. I've two questions..

I got the app working in eclipse and on my htc desire s, it was a bit slow
and unresponsive but at least it worked. Then I discovered the app wouldn't
work on android devices (as far as I can tell, testing is a biatch) running
OS 3 and over (the htc is 2.3). It stops working on the homepage screen by
failing to load the tabbars. My only guess is that its somehow realtaed to
internet connection, as on the iphone version, the tabs would only load
when the connection was fine.  Apart from that,  I just know enough about
eclipse/android to even know what the right questions to search for. Any
advice on how to track down the problem?

The second question is how to improve the perfomance. - its very sluggish.
I knew it would be bad but its worse than. I'm in the process of trying to
minify and strip out as much as I can but are there any other suggestions
about how to improve performance? One really annoying thing is that on
certain transistions from one page to another, the new page loads up, then
the old page flashes up for a second before going back to the new page -
has anyone encountered this before?

thanks!