The only problem is already having gone down the phonegap route, it's a
little too late to learn a new system and rebuild from scratch. You live
and learn though..

I was never expecting amazing performance, but its fairly simple app and
its offered for free so I'm not massively concerned about the performance
at the moment (although those links much appreciated - thanks TreKing!).

My main concern is just getting it to work on OS 3 and over. On 2.3 it
works, not great but acceptable for the moment. On anything higher it
stalls at Waiting for HOME ('android.process.acore') to be launched...