Hey everyone,

I checked back all the details you gave me. However, my findings are
still not satisfactory.

The shared UID bit turned out to be true - for some of the packages
stored in /system/app/, but unfortunately not for all. System apps
with a shared user ID usually get their permissions defined in a
section distinct for every shared user ID. There one can also find the
<perms> block related to that specific shared user ID. One example
would be "android.uid.shared", which is used by many Android OS apps.

However, there are apps which do not have a shared user ID, but a user
ID of their own - and still come without a <perms> block. One example
is the "/system/app/FileManager.apk" package, which is preinstalled on
my testing device. Every single system app not making use of a shared
user ID lacks a <perms> block.

... so for those, I'm back to square one ;)

I still don't know where their permissions are stored, and it's
definitely not in the packages.xml file. Are permissions for those
just granted at will, without checking the packages.xml file?

Could maybe an Android dev from Google provide a statement on this
matter?