On Jun 24, 8:26 pm, Dianne Hackborn <hack...@android.com> wrote:
> Why do you care if there is a <perms> tag? What is stored in packages.xml
> is an implementation detail;

Yes, but wanting to understand how things work is an endemic amongst
engineers (though this probably is the wrong group to discuss it)

> How much of this is cached in
> packages.xml or elsewhere across boots, or evaluated at each boot, is an
> implementation detail.

But an interesting one.  I've finally managed to find the code that
skips writing out the permissions for system apps.  So apparently the
effective permission database is actually held in memory and created
on each android runtime start by processing the apk's.  What remains
interesting is why permissions for any apps get written out...