On Jun 29, 12:08 pm, Mihai Popescu <mihai.m.pope...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The client is not a seller, it is a large company and its activity involves
> mostly transporting goods throughout the country. The purpose of the
> software is to monitor truck driver location, thus enforcing some policies
> to save money. Can't have a truck driver get paid for telling lies about
> being stuck 2 hours in traffic, while watching TV at home, and getting paid
> for that, right?

Use a device bolted to the roof of the truck cab then; those have been
on the market for a long time.   Saves the privacy issue since you are
tracking the company asset (the vehicle), saves the reliability issue
since it gets vehicle power and isn't dependent on the employee
remembering to charge it.

> 2. The custom OS solution
> I know this is the best option, but I'm not sure the customer will be
> interested in spending that much money.

Doing it via a customized android build would not be all that
complicated.  But it would also not be on topic for this group.

> 3. More questions regarding Android and having the app run in background
> Android is based on Linux, so doesn't it have some low-level user
> management? You know, somewhat like a regular Linux distribution.
> I am thinking maybe my app/service can run as root, and require root
> permissions to be shut down (maybe password protected?).

Yes, but only in a customized android installation.  This group is
about creating apps, not about customizing android itself.