Romaine,

I am only called from Andrioid with a useable GL10 context from
GLSurfaveView.Renderer.onDrawFrame (or onSurfaceXXX).  If I save the value
and try to use it from another thread, it does not work.  Please ignore the
question of locking.  I was trying to inform you that I have been
developing software for 35 years and wasn't asking anything stupid.  I know
I cannot use the context from two thread simultaneously.  That is what the
locking is for.  In this manner, I am able to set the gl context on a
different thread and use it successfully on iOS, OSX, Win32, etc.  The
OpenGL ES spec says nothing about Andrioid, which perhaps is an act of
discretion ...