Hi,

We recently came across an issue with regards to game state saving when the
application pauses and restoring it after the process is killed. For our
previous titles, we would serialize every piece of data associated with the
current state of the game (in native code) when an onPause() occurred. This
means that even if the process was killed off after the onPause(), the game
would resume in the EXACT state it previously was in previously. For a
racing game, this means that all the cars would be in the exact same place
on the track, and all characters would be in their exact previous
positions. This was a fairly aggressive scheme and it caused lots of
headaches during coding and debugging. Now that we're working on more
complicated titles, its becoming increasingly difficult to serialize the
entire game state.

Is it necessary to be this aggressive when saving game state when the
process is killed off? After the process is killed, would it be acceptable
to merely return the player to a place in the game that is reasonably close
to where they previously were (i.e. a checkpoint). Would this be considered
bad practice and would it lower the chance of our games being featured?

I tried out several popular games on the market and while some of them
restore the player to their exact previous position, a lot of them merely
return the player to a check point or even to the title screen if the
process was killed off. What is the correct answer?