Thanks Mark, your answer was perfect!

After playing around the solution that worked for me was to use the bool
flags with the values-v16 directory and subclassing the service with with a
MainRunningServicePreJellyBean class.
Although compiling didn't complain with using the same service class twice,
the jelly bean version just didn't work (which was declared 2nd in the
file) so I guess it found the first reference and just set it to disabled.

I agree on the documentation though. The SDK samples are for v16 and open
source projects like talkback have a pre and post ice cream sandwich set of
apps, so there wasn't any examples to go off.

Now if I could only find out the reason why since ice cream sandwich
accessibility has caused some phones to start talking to them as soon as
the accessibility service of my app is enabled even though talkback is off
and I don't use any TTS in the app.