I have a preferences screen that works as expected, with one exception.

I added a button preference that when pressed should take the user back to
the main activity screen.

The button appears; it even changes colored when tapped, however, no action
takes place.

Here are the files and code that I think show what I've done.

If you have any insight on how this should work, I would appreciate it.

returntogame.xml (defines the button)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<LinearLayout xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android";
     android:layout_height="wrap_content"
     android:layout_width="fill_parent"
     android:weightSum="10"
     android:baselineAligned="false" android:orientation="horizontal">
     <Button
          android:text="Return to game" android:layout_width="fill_parent"
          android:layout_weight="5" android:layout_height="wrap_content"
          android:id="@+id/returnToGame" android:layout_gravity="left">
     </Button>
</LinearLayout>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
preferences.xml (includes the button at the top of the preferences screen)

<PreferenceScreen
xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"; >

     <Preference android:layout="@layout/returntogame"
android:key="returnToGame">
          <intent android:action="android.intent.action.MAIN"/>
      </Preference>
</PreferenceScreen>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
manifest.xml
<activity
      android:name="PrefsActivity"
      android:label="Preferences"
      android:enabled="true" >

      <intent-filter>
           <category android:name="android.intent.category.PREFERENCE" />
           <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
      </intent-filter>
</activity>