Bill,

Regarding the onClick not working... This made me go hmmmm so I put
together a simple test:

package org.kman.AquaMail.prefs;

import android.content.Context;
import android.preference.Preference;
import android.util.AttributeSet;
import android.widget.Toast;

public class TestOnClickPreference extends Preference {
public TestOnClickPreference(Context context, AttributeSet attrs) {
super(context, attrs);
}

@Override
protected void onClick() {
final Context context = getContext();
Toast.makeText(context, "I've been clicked!", Toast.LENGTH_SHORT).show();
}
}
<<<

and in the preference xml file:

    <org.kman.AquaMail.prefs.TestOnClickPreference
        android:summary="OnClick summary"
        android:title="OnClick title" />
<<<

It definitely works, onClick gets called and the toast shows....

TreKing's way is a bit more simple though (I have more than a dozen various
preference subclasses in my current project, so naturally, was thinking
along those lines).

Regarding your comment on Android - there are 15 thousand developers on
this list last I checked, and many many more who are not.

So - "спасение утопающих - обязанность самих утопающих", for the most part
:)

-- K