Not to hammer the point to much, but the images in that linked
stackoverflow question should show that the issue is not specifically
related to scaling the drawable. My issue is that there seems to be an
issue with the relative layout handling the padding defined in shape.

If I create a shape in nodpi (which my understanding is disables scaling)
and set the stroke to 1px and padding to 1px, I see the line on top and
left but not on bottom or right:
Nexus 7 Tablet: http://cl.ly/image/0g1f1B323J3A
WXGA800-7in Emulator: http://cl.ly/image/2N1q1D3g2n0t

If I change the stroke to 2px:
Nexus 7 Tablet: http://cl.ly/image/1i03310q2j3M
WXGA800-7in Emulator: http://cl.ly/image/3Q3s3u0I0Q1b

I guess my issue is really that the emulator responds exactly as expected
as do all devices besides the Nexus tablet. The Nexus 7 seems to be not
respecting the padding on right and bottom when the padding is coming from
a shape with a stroke.