I think it is like glOrtho.  I found this on koders.com:

  public void glOrthof(float left, float right, float bottom, float top,
            float near, float far) {
        Matrix.orthoM(mMatrix, mTop, left, right, bottom, top, near, far);
    }

I think maybe when you use glOrtho, the depth buffer stuff is backwards.
 You might have to change GL_LESS to GL_GREATER using glDepthFunc or
something.

I switched one of my games to glOrtho back in the day.  IIRC, I thought it
would be easy, and it turned out to be a root canal.