What I want to do is to install our app via an APK, but to push updates
using Google Play. Is there any way to tie the two, so that Play can
recognise that the app has been installed from an APK file, and can then
deliver app upgrades?

We are developing the app for our users, and we anticipate that many of
them will install the app from an APK that we will distribute as a file.
But we want to be able to upgrade their copy of the app using the usual
Google Play upgrade mechanism. (Users will also be able to install the app
via Play, but then upgrades should be as per normal). We would use the
usual permission model, so users could upgrade or not at their choice.

I've looked through the Android documentation, but I can't see anything on
this point.

Regards,
Martin