Yes you can do but you have to keep you package name, signature same. One
more thing your app version code should be higher.

eg.
app installed by your apk contains :

Package        : yourcompanyname.yourappname
Signature key : xxxxx
android:versionName="2.16"
android:versionCode="216"

upgrade app published on google play contains :

Package        : yourcompanyname.yourappname
Signature key : xxxxx
android:versionName="2.17"
android:versionCode="217"