Hi,

I'd suggest using the latest Google Android device, currently that is the
(Samsung) Galaxy Nexus, but rumors suggest it is to be updated very soon (?)

Main reason is that the Google phones allow you to see your own debug
message on the console pretty easily, where as most other phones have so
such junk debug messages on the console, that they swamp your own debug
messages making it difficult to test & debug your own apps. You can filter
debug messages but the console fills quickly (in Eclipse) anyway & then has
to be reset.

If you can live without relying on debug messages through Eclipse then any
good & recent phone will likely do, eg Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC One X, etc.

The Google phones get OS updates before other phones as well.

Regards