It's kind of complicated and there are inter-team political considerations.
This seems to be the cleanest solution we've hit upon so far. Whether or
not it's the right solution in the long run we don't know yet, but that
isn't what I'm asking about. I just want help with the mechanics of the
build.

At the moment I'm letting the Eclipse ADT generate all of my ant build
files. This doesn't seem to be quite good enough, though, since it isn't
putting the particular projects listed under "Java Build Path -> Projects"
into the classpath. I checked the overridable properties that the android
sdk's build.xml provides, but saw no indication of classpath manipulation
capabilities there. I *did* see an android.package.exclude variable, which
might provide another approach to solving my problem....but I suspect that
if I go down that route, then ant will work but Eclipse won't. Not an
improvement.