I had the same problem.  Maybe there has been some update causing the
behavior to change, or perhaps whoever created the instructions did not use
the default installation location when installing the Android SDK,
different OS, or who knows.  Regardless, I think I have found where this
information can be populated in the cases where the described "Welcome to
Android Development" window does not appear.

In Eclipse, click *Window > Preferences > Android*. This window has a field
labeled *SDK Location*.  Although I am not certain of it, I believe this is
where the path that you enter in the "Welcome to Android Development"
screen gets stored.  If yours is like mine, it was already populated with
the correct path which might explain why we did not get the "Welcome to
Android Development" screen.  In my case, my OS is Windows 7 64-bit and the
path to the SDK location is *
C:\Users\[profilename]\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk*, which was the
default path during the Android SDK installation process.

So if you are as lucky as I was, you did not get the "Welcome to Android
Development" screen because the correct path was already in place.