I assume Doug meant a wifi network.  I'd agree - that's the easiest.  Some
places don't like random unmanaged wifi AP though.

If you have a modern build there is the potential that it supports ethernet
via a usb dongle.  Most google experience tablets support this.

Another possibility is to use usb tethering.  This is normally used to
connect your laptop to the internet through the phone, but it also sets up
a backchannel route to the laptop.  You should be able to open connections
to the laptop IP (it's dhcp, but you should know what ip it'll get after
your first try).