Hi,
Here is how I test in your scenario.

Instead of trying to connect my android device to my laptop via a usb
cable, I do it through a wireless connection  I set the android device to
connect via WIFI to a wireless access point running on my laptop.

So, that means on my laptop I have a wireless adapter. The wireless adapter
must be capable of "master" mode. I use hostpd http://w1.fi/hostapd/  to
set authentication (and restrict radius). I use dhcp to allocate a static
ip address to my android device. Finally I set the route on my laptop to
accept the static ip address assigned by dhcp.

Note! I use Linux pretty much exclusively. Therefore, I'm not sure how any
of the above is applied to other operating systems.

Hope that helps a little :)
Jason