On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 3:28 AM, btschumy <b...@otherwise.com> wrote:

> On startup, our app now compares the public key returned by this function to
> an internal copy of our correct, known public key.  If the comparison fails,
> the app posts a notification to our server, then quits.  The notification
> contains a copy of the incorrect public key.

This is not particularly reliable: if I repackage your app, I can
change whatever
'internal' values you have. Additionally, some tools will patch stuff
in dalivk-cache
without ever touching your apk. And, of course, it can be pirated without being
repackaged.

> Then, on friday Jan 11th, we got another notification that our anti-piracy
> check has been triggered.  In both cases, the incorrect public key was as
> follows:
>
> 308204a830820390a003020102020900b3998086d056cffa300d06092a864
> I won't post a copy of our own (correct) public key here, but it is very
> different from the one above.

This doesn't appear to be the full string, so it doesn't form a valid
certificate, but if you convert to binary and run strings on it, you get
this:

California1
Mountain View1
Android1
Android1
Android1"0
android@android.com0
080415224050Z
350901224050Z0

Not that this proves anything (anyone can generate a certificate with
those names),
but FIY.