On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 4:00 AM, btschumy <b...@otherwise.com> wrote:
> On Monday, January 14, 2013 7:05:37 PM UTC-7, Nikolay Elenkov wrote:
>

>> This is not particularly reliable: if I repackage your app, I can
>> change whatever
>> 'internal' values you have.
>

> Perhaps I'm wrong, but a cracker shouldn't be able to modify the code and
> re-sign it with our signature.  If that is possible it defeats the whole
> purpose of digital signatures, right?

You are mostly right. However, they don't have to sign with your key, just
any valid key. The signature/certificate only matters if you are updating
an app. If it is a new install (e.g., download paid app from an all-you-can-eat
site) anything goes. The usual way to crack these things is unpackage,
decompile, disable licensing checks, etc., repackage, sign. Your own
signature/certificate is usually quite irrelevant.

>> Additionally, some tools will patch stuff
>> in dalivk-cache
>

> I'm not sure I understand what you mean.  Are you saying at runtime they can
> patch it with a special loader?  If so, sure.  However, I doubt this would
> lead to widespread piracy.

Google 'android lucky patcher'.

>> without ever touching your apk. And, of course, it can be pirated without
>> being
>> repackaged.
>

> We are also using Google's LVL so I don't see how the app is going to be
> pirated without modification and repackaging.

That would help somewhat yet. But that again is quite easy to  strip out.
Google 'android antilvl'. If it fails with your apk, you should be mostly OK.
See other replies as well. antilvl (and similar) tools automate the static
analysis part to a certain extent: they look for system API commonly
used to implement licensing and anit-tampering code and swap them
right out with their own version which always returns true, etc.

To sum up: if most popular tools fail to patch your app automatically and
your using some sort of online license verification (such as LVL), you
should be mostly OK.