I have an external jar file that we have been using to import into an
application apk.  Recently I added a Android service class into the jar
file, now when I import the file into an apk, I can instantiate all classes
except the service. I have declared the service in the applications
manifest file (with fully qualified class path), but when I try to bind to
the service using context.bindService(intent, connection,
BIND_AUTO_CREATE), nothing happens.  I dont get any exception, nor an error
message, but service is not instantiated, as the return value for
bindService is false.

I examined the contents of jar file to make sure that the service class is
actually included.  I also further dedexd the application dex file and even
there the library service class was present. Any ideas what could be the
problem? I have read several posts on this, but still unable to figure out
the problem.  What I really want to achieve is provide a Android service
class in a library (jar file), so application developers can simply bind to
the service and it starts the run within the context of the application.  I
don't want the service to be remote, hence not using AIDL.  Also the jar is
built using ant build.xml, its not marked as a library project, but just as
a regular jar file that can be imported into any application.  The goal is
to distribute the jar file without the source code, hence not marking it as
library.

RK.

---
"Android Developers" group.