I did make sure that there were no R.xx classes in the service, infact I
dont need any resources in the service.  I did double check again and
nothing was present, although an import definition to resources class was
left there.  I wasn't sure if it would make a difference, but I removed
that definition anyway and recompiled the jar without any different result.
 The application loading the jar, still cannot bind to the service. The
service is a very simple class that just instantiates a set of regular java
classes (nothing specific to Android).  I'm not even able to debug into the
service,  I have a break point at onStart() and onCreate() methods and it
never falls there. I will continue looking. .thanks.

On Monday, February 11, 2013 12:12:17 PM UTC-8, Streets Of Boston wrote:

> Maybe this service class uses/loads other classes that fail to load.
>
> Strong candidates that may fail to load are R.xxxx classes and their
> members: If your JAR is generatedfrom a library project and if you
> distribute just the JAR file, you may not distribute any R.xxxx classes
> along with it, since these are not included in the JAR generation of a
> library project.
>
> On Monday, February 11, 2013 2:57:54 PM UTC-5, RKSHR wrote:
>>
>> I have an external jar file that we have been using to import into an
>> application apk.  Recently I added a Android service class into the jar
>> file, now when I import the file into an apk, I can instantiate all classes
>> except the service. I have declared the service in the applications
>> manifest file (with fully qualified class path), but when I try to bind to
>> the service using context.bindService(intent, connection,
>> BIND_AUTO_CREATE), nothing happens.  I dont get any exception, nor an error
>> message, but service is not instantiated, as the return value for
>> bindService is false.
>>
>> I examined the contents of jar file to make sure that the service class
>> is actually included.  I also further dedexd the application dex file and
>> even there the library service class was present. Any ideas what could be
>> the problem? I have read several posts on this, but still unable to figure
>> out the problem.  What I really want to achieve is provide a Android
>> service class in a library (jar file), so application developers can simply
>> bind to the service and it starts the run within the context of the
>> application.  I don't want the service to be remote, hence not using AIDL.
>>  Also the jar is built using ant build.xml, its not marked as a library
>> project, but just as a regular jar file that can be imported into any
>> application.  The goal is to distribute the jar file without the source
>> code, hence not marking it as library.
>>
>> RK.

---
"Android Developers" group.