What you wrote is the obvious part of what I do - test with beta users. I 
agree that this is a must.

The problem is, sometimes it's impossible to debug what you find.
When the issue is not a simple crash stack trace - but rather some 
behavior, or display issue, you can't just keep ping-ponging versions with 
a user without wasting whole days on that... You need the device in your 
hand.
And as an indie developer, it's practically impossible to get a hold of 
many different devices.


On Sunday, July 28, 2013 12:47:30 PM UTC+3, Piren wrote:
>
> Wrote a lengthy response but my browser decided not to post it, so here's 
> the short version:
>
> - That's a known problem with android development, it was obvious about a 
> couple of months after it came out. when the premise of the system is to be 
> open and as varied as possible, this kind of issues are a given.
> - Under your limitations, the best approach is to release the app only to 
> a small subset of devices it was tested on and expand that subset as time 
> goes on. Use an open beta group for devices you do not have access to. Even 
> Netflix was released on only 5 devices.
> - iOS development might not have this issue (it has fragmentation, but it 
> isn't the same as android's), but over all i believe android has a more 
> developer friendly ecosystem... instead of being frustrated with this, 
> you'll find more than enough other iOS specific issues that will frustrate 
> you.. especially since you're used to how Android is.
>
>
>
> On Friday, July 26, 2013 1:39:14 AM UTC+3, Omer Gilad wrote:
>>
>> .I am wondering how developers here are dealing with the fact that there 
>> are 1000's of devices out there, some of them running your applications in 
>> very broken ways
>> .I keep running into these kind of issues again and again for the past 3 
>> years, and to be honest, I'm fed up with it
>> .I've decided to move to iOS development, and the only way to convince me 
>> otherwise is to give me a decent, reliable way of dealing with fragmentation
>>
>> So what do you do when you develop a game, for example, and try to create 
>> a high-quality user experience on Google Play?
>> Do you do your QA on 50 different devices? 100? 1000?
>> Or do you just shoot blindly and hope that it works, or wait for users to 
>> send you bug reports?
>>
>> To make it clear, I'm not talking about "official" fragmentation.
>> I don't talk about different screen sizes, densities, features, OS 
>> versions and so on.
>> I talk about the "unofficial" fragmentation. The fact that most devices, 
>> even the popular ones from the big companies like Samsung, HTC, Motorola, 
>> LG and so on, contain tons of implementation bugs that prevent apps from 
>> working correctly.
>> I'm talking about the fact that you can call a certain simple API, test 
>> it on a stock Android ROM (like on Nexus 4), and then have your application 
>> crash on some Samsung, that decided to break the implementation because of 
>> some customization.
>>
>> How can people stand that?
>> How is it possible to write code, when the machine that executes it is 
>> completely broken in unexpected ways?
>>
>> I'm really fed up with it.
>> About 50% of my Android development time is wasted on babysitting broken 
>> devices.
>> I'm waiting for an official Google response about this, and what have you 
>> been doing in all those years to fix that.
>> I've heard about things like "conformance tests" for devices and so on, 
>> but the reality is far from acceptable in this area.
>>
>> ,Looking forward for helpful responses
>> Omer
>>
>

-- 
-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Android Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply via email to