What you wrote is the obvious part of what I do - test with beta users. I
agree that this is a must.

The problem is, sometimes it's impossible to debug what you find.
When the issue is not a simple crash stack trace - but rather some
behavior, or display issue, you can't just keep ping-ponging versions with
a user without wasting whole days on that... You need the device in your
hand.
And as an indie developer, it's practically impossible to get a hold of
many different devices.

On Sunday, July 28, 2013 12:47:30 PM UTC+3, Piren wrote:

> Wrote a lengthy response but my browser decided not to post it, so here's
> the short version:
>
> - That's a known problem with android development, it was obvious about a
> couple of months after it came out. when the premise of the system is to be
> open and as varied as possible, this kind of issues are a given.
> - Under your limitations, the best approach is to release the app only to
> a small subset of devices it was tested on and expand that subset as time
> goes on. Use an open beta group for devices you do not have access to. Even
> Netflix was released on only 5 devices.
> - iOS development might not have this issue (it has fragmentation, but it
> isn't the same as android's), but over all i believe android has a more
> developer friendly ecosystem... instead of being frustrated with this,
> you'll find more than enough other iOS specific issues that will frustrate
> you.. especially since you're used to how Android is.
>

> On Friday, July 26, 2013 1:39:14 AM UTC+3, Omer Gilad wrote:
>>
>> .I am wondering how developers here are dealing with the fact that there
>> are 1000's of devices out there, some of them running your applications in
>> very broken ways
>> .I keep running into these kind of issues again and again for the past 3
>> years, and to be honest, I'm fed up with it
>> .I've decided to move to iOS development, and the only way to convince me
>> otherwise is to give me a decent, reliable way of dealing with fragmentation
>>
>> So what do you do when you develop a game, for example, and try to create
>> a high-quality user experience on Google Play?
>> Do you do your QA on 50 different devices? 100? 1000?
>> Or do you just shoot blindly and hope that it works, or wait for users to
>> send you bug reports?
>>
>> To make it clear, I'm not talking about "official" fragmentation.
>> I don't talk about different screen sizes, densities, features, OS
>> versions and so on.
>> I talk about the "unofficial" fragmentation. The fact that most devices,
>> even the popular ones from the big companies like Samsung, HTC, Motorola,
>> LG and so on, contain tons of implementation bugs that prevent apps from
>> working correctly.
>> I'm talking about the fact that you can call a certain simple API, test
>> it on a stock Android ROM (like on Nexus 4), and then have your application
>> crash on some Samsung, that decided to break the implementation because of
>> some customization.
>>
>> How can people stand that?
>> How is it possible to write code, when the machine that executes it is
>> completely broken in unexpected ways?
>>
>> I'm really fed up with it.
>> About 50% of my Android development time is wasted on babysitting broken
>> devices.
>> I'm waiting for an official Google response about this, and what have you
>> been doing in all those years to fix that.
>> I've heard about things like "conformance tests" for devices and so on,
> [...]

---
"Android Developers" group.