With all this talk I still haven't seen an example of a testing service 
that can actually help me...
Got any links? Anything with a reasonable price that can ease the pain (and 
that you used for yourself)?

BTW, I have worked in the past with some of those remote device providers 
(like http://www.keynotedeviceanywhere.com/).
It's very expensive to get a few hours with a device, especially if this is 
something you have to do constantly with different devices each time 
there's an issue.
And the deal-breaker part - it's so slow, you'll actually have to waste a 
whole hour just on installing your app and seeing LogCat.

On Monday, July 29, 2013 12:48:16 AM UTC+3, Kristopher Micinski wrote:
>
> So in this case, how does a subscription based test service not help 
> you?  I'm not saying that a concrete one exists, but I think this kind 
> of debugging service (or coop, essentially) would be a good tool.  You 
> include a time metric, do some tasks to help other developers', and 
> they do some work of doing yours.  One of the problems here is the 
> heterogenous distribution of devices, but I don't think that's an 
> inherent limitation. 
>
> I've thought about starting up one of these services for a while, but 
> don't really have the resources to do so. 
>
> (I think in my previous posts you thought I was advocating a 
> pushbutton testing service: I wasn't.  But the point still stands: if 
> you want to test on greater devices, do it with a service and possibly 
> humans in the loop.  Big testing services should integrate this work 
> cycle too, for when pushbutton tests don't work...) 
>
> Kris 
>
>
> On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 5:29 PM, Omer Gilad <[email protected]<javascript:>> 
> wrote: 
> > What you wrote is the obvious part of what I do - test with beta users. 
> I 
> > agree that this is a must. 
> > 
> > The problem is, sometimes it's impossible to debug what you find. 
> > When the issue is not a simple crash stack trace - but rather some 
> behavior, 
> > or display issue, you can't just keep ping-ponging versions with a user 
> > without wasting whole days on that... You need the device in your hand. 
> > And as an indie developer, it's practically impossible to get a hold of 
> many 
> > different devices. 
> > 
> > 
> > On Sunday, July 28, 2013 12:47:30 PM UTC+3, Piren wrote: 
> >> 
> >> Wrote a lengthy response but my browser decided not to post it, so 
> here's 
> >> the short version: 
> >> 
> >> - That's a known problem with android development, it was obvious about 
> a 
> >> couple of months after it came out. when the premise of the system is 
> to be 
> >> open and as varied as possible, this kind of issues are a given. 
> >> - Under your limitations, the best approach is to release the app only 
> to 
> >> a small subset of devices it was tested on and expand that subset as 
> time 
> >> goes on. Use an open beta group for devices you do not have access to. 
> Even 
> >> Netflix was released on only 5 devices. 
> >> - iOS development might not have this issue (it has fragmentation, but 
> it 
> >> isn't the same as android's), but over all i believe android has a more 
> >> developer friendly ecosystem... instead of being frustrated with this, 
> >> you'll find more than enough other iOS specific issues that will 
> frustrate 
> >> you.. especially since you're used to how Android is. 
> >> 
> >> 
> >> 
> >> On Friday, July 26, 2013 1:39:14 AM UTC+3, Omer Gilad wrote: 
> >>> 
> >>> .I am wondering how developers here are dealing with the fact that 
> there 
> >>> are 1000's of devices out there, some of them running your 
> applications in 
> >>> very broken ways 
> >>> .I keep running into these kind of issues again and again for the past 
> 3 
> >>> years, and to be honest, I'm fed up with it 
> >>> .I've decided to move to iOS development, and the only way to convince 
> me 
> >>> otherwise is to give me a decent, reliable way of dealing with 
> fragmentation 
> >>> 
> >>> So what do you do when you develop a game, for example, and try to 
> create 
> >>> a high-quality user experience on Google Play? 
> >>> Do you do your QA on 50 different devices? 100? 1000? 
> >>> Or do you just shoot blindly and hope that it works, or wait for users 
> to 
> >>> send you bug reports? 
> >>> 
> >>> To make it clear, I'm not talking about "official" fragmentation. 
> >>> I don't talk about different screen sizes, densities, features, OS 
> >>> versions and so on. 
> >>> I talk about the "unofficial" fragmentation. The fact that most 
> devices, 
> >>> even the popular ones from the big companies like Samsung, HTC, 
> Motorola, LG 
> >>> and so on, contain tons of implementation bugs that prevent apps from 
> >>> working correctly. 
> >>> I'm talking about the fact that you can call a certain simple API, 
> test 
> >>> it on a stock Android ROM (like on Nexus 4), and then have your 
> application 
> >>> crash on some Samsung, that decided to break the implementation 
> because of 
> >>> some customization. 
> >>> 
> >>> How can people stand that? 
> >>> How is it possible to write code, when the machine that executes it is 
> >>> completely broken in unexpected ways? 
> >>> 
> >>> I'm really fed up with it. 
> >>> About 50% of my Android development time is wasted on babysitting 
> broken 
> >>> devices. 
> >>> I'm waiting for an official Google response about this, and what have 
> you 
> >>> been doing in all those years to fix that. 
> >>> I've heard about things like "conformance tests" for devices and so 
> on, 
> >>> but the reality is far from acceptable in this area. 
> >>> 
> >>> ,Looking forward for helpful responses 
> >>> Omer 
> > 
> > -- 
> > -- 
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google 
> > Groups "Android Developers" group. 
> > To post to this group, send email to 
> > [email protected]<javascript:> 
> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
> > [email protected] <javascript:> 
> > For more options, visit this group at 
> > http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en 
> > --- 
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google 
> Groups 
> > "Android Developers" group. 
> > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send 
> an 
> > email to [email protected] <javascript:>. 
> > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. 
> > 
> > 
>

-- 
-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Android Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply via email to