Either you intentionally ignored the message of his post or you're playing
dumb.
No one is complaining about fragmentation (which sucks, but that's besides
the point).

We're talking about APIs not performing as they should.If you claim that
this never happened to you, you're either lying, inexperienced, without a
user base, targeted a single device or haven't used any of the APIs beyond
doing an app with a single clickable button.

How about you trying writing some code that deals with Bluetooth, Sound,
Graphics and Sensors (especially the camera) ... run that code on 20
different devices, then tell us that the APIs are flawless.

On Wednesday, July 31, 2013 1:40:14 PM UTC+3, Daniele Segato wrote:

> On 07/26/2013 12:39 AM, Omer Gilad wrote:
> > .I am wondering how developers here are dealing with the fact that there
> > are 1000's of devices out there, some of them running your applications
> > in very broken ways
> > .I keep running into these kind of issues again and again for the past 3
> > years, and to be honest, I'm fed up with it
> > .I've decided to move to iOS development, and the only way to convince
> > me otherwise is to give me a decent, reliable way of dealing with
> > fragmentation
> >
> [snip]
> >
> > To make it clear, I'm not talking about "official" fragmentation.
> > I don't talk about different screen sizes, densities, features, OS
> > versions and so on.
> > I talk about the "unofficial" fragmentation. The fact that most devices,
> > even the popular ones from the big companies like Samsung, HTC,
> > Motorola, LG and so on, contain tons of implementation bugs that prevent
> > apps from working correctly.
> > I'm talking about the fact that you can call a certain simple API, test
> > it on a stock Android ROM (like on Nexus 4), and then have your
> > application crash on some Samsung, that decided to break the
> > implementation because of some customization.
> >
> > How can people stand that?
> > How is it possible to write code, when the machine that executes it is
> > completely broken in unexpected ways?
> >
> [snip]
>
> I feel a little put off by this.
>
> Never had issues like the one you describe when doing the things are
> they are supposed to be done (following the docs and guide lines).
>
> When someone talk about fragmentation in Android I laugh. Seriously.
> in iOS if you want to support different device you literary has to
> develop twice. True, they do not have has many devices. But Android is
> designed from the ground to support the fragmentation:
> - you can address different API with just an if in your browser or using
> -v14 in your resources/layouts/values
> - You have fragment and the support library bring backs most of the
> features you need for supporting old devices
>
> Reading your message and the replies you get it seems like everybody is
> experiencing bug in how the API is implemented.
>
> I don't trust you.
> What I think is that either I am be always very lucky either you did
> something wrong.
>
> I'm open to change my mind, but I'd like to have some practical example,
> you seems to have many since you spend most of the time fixing them.
>
> Why don't you share what they are? Maybe you'll discover you are doing
> something you shouldn't or if you are right it could be a start for
> other developers to have a list of gotchas and issues you have to be
> aware off making life easier for everyone.
>

> Regards,
> Daniele Segato

---
"Android Developers" group.