I have an  indeterminate ProgressBar in an XML layout for a fragment. When I
display this fragment the first time, the ProgressBar visibility is set to
VISIBLE, and the activity circle spins until a loading operation is complete,
at which time the ProgressBar visibility is set to INVISIBLE, and it
disappears. All good so far.

However, when conditions occur that causing the loading operation to happen
again, the ProgressBar visibility is set to VISIBLE, but it does not animate
(spin), it stays static. I can reinitiate that loading operation as many times
as I want, and reset the ProgressBar visibility ad naseum, but it never spins
again.

First, the code is being invoked already on the UI thread, so it should work
(it is actually downstream from the onReceive callback of a BroadcastReceiver,
which at least with the references I've been able to dig up, is supposed to
happen on the UI thread). However, just to be safe, I tried two other means of
putting the changing of ProgressBar visibility on the UI thread, via:

1. Explicitly running on the UI thread:

        getActivity().runOnUiThread(new Runnable()
        {
            @Override
            public void run()
            {
                progressBar.setVisibility(View.VISIBLE);
            }
        });

2. Using an AsyncTask, where onPostExecute() is guaranteed to be on the UI
thread.:

    public static class ProgressBarTask extends AsyncTask<Void, Void, Bitmap>
    {
        private ImageLoader loader;

        @Override
        protected Bitmap doInBackground(Void... params)
        {
            return true
        }

        @Override
        protected void onPostExecute(Bitmap result)
        {

ImportantWrappingClass.this.progressBar.setVisibility(View.VISIBLE);
        }
    }

In addition to this, I also tried resetting the ProgressBar's progress to 0
(even though it was indeterminate). None of the above had any effect, the
ProgressBar still doesn't spin the second (or third, or n time it is
displayed).

So my question -- how can I get an indeterminate ProgressBar to spin when
hidden/displayed again after the first time?

Your answers are appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad

---